dampers

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:57:41 -0700

I am to regulate a rebuilt chickering grand #75230 built somewhere around
1885-1890 according to the atlas.  Will tune after we get it set.

Man did a nice job refinishing, and it looks good.  All new strings, new
hammers, etc.
 Problem is the dampers.  I have not looked inside yet, but many of the
dampers are just loose on the strings.  Others are more firm.  He says
there is no locking nut on the damper wires as they go through the blocks
beneath.  There must be some way of securing the dampers so that they can
be adjusted.  They hit the strings crookedly, and twist without any
resistance at all.

Does anyone know what this is going to look like when I get in there?

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR