Quarter Tones

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:38:33 -0100

Richard Moody wrote:

> I have always wondered about "quarter tone" music esp on pianos.  How can
> that be with only 12 notes to the octave?  Or do they tune two pianos a
> quarter step apart?  Knowing nothing about this I wonder what other than ET
> can quarter tone be tuned in?

Strict, modern quarter-tone tuning is 24-tone Equal Temperament, for
which a number of pianos were built in the first half of the 20th
century; it follows that any equal temperament divisible by 24 also will
have these intervals, notably 96tET currently which is available in
Sauter's Metamorphoser pianos. A number of composers have written ¼-tone
music explicitly.

Jay Williams published a scheme for tuning two pianos a ¼-tone apart a
couple years ago.

Often any interval smaller than a semitone is lumped as a ¼-tone. If one
slackens to allow for broader notions to a tone, contextually proper
¼-tones may be found in many other systems, or, conversely they might be
identified simply by resemblance to the 50 cent interval.

The base step-sizes in 22tET are ~54.55 cents. This temperament is
fairly simple to tune aurally and presents a number of advantages over
24tET. It has received a fair amount of attention during the past few
years: instruments exist, and composers have written for them.

Regards,

Clark