Practical pitch changing

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:20:54 -0400

Of course Brian,

This has become a favorite of mine. I started doing the "deaf pitch raise or
lowering" but then modified ti a bit. Here is my method. First I tune 1
string of each A's in the tenor, treble and bass. Then I remove the mutes,
listen to the beats ins differents octaves and then tune 1 string per unison
from the tenor break up TRYING TO REPLICATE THE BEATS corresponding to the
beat that I had on that A for different octaves. I usually try to tune the
string that I will tune last when I do the final tuning. Now this rough
pitch raising is done WITHOUT any mutes whatsoever wich makes it very fast
(about 5 minutes at the most).
Then, I just use whatever method I want and tune the piano the usual way.
I've gotten really surprising results using this method. I personnally
prefer it because I feel I have more control on the actual raising I do
respecting the overall flatness or sharpness of the piano. As I said, I have
used your method before, but on a few occasions I had gone too far and had
to do two complete tunings after the raise. With this method, I've saved so
much time and energy and really like the feeling of scientifically untuning
the piano before I start tuning.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC