Humidity Change and Unisons

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 02:05:46 -0600

Hi Roger,

I left the entire *history* intact this time.

John Lillico's contention was that even with *no* support structures being
involved that humidity some how changed the shape of the plate. Of course I
agree that the wooden structures *do* cause the plate to change shape. And
in fact other hints (I will not enoble it and call it research) have
indicated to me that plate flex has a great deal to do with pitch
correction, much more than the crown of the sound board.

At 12:45 AM 08/18/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Don,
>           Of coarse the humidity effects the plate. As the crown rises,so
>does the pitch. This in turn increases the loading on the plate.   The
>whole reason for nose bolts, is to minimize the flex of the plate due to
>changing moisture conditions. Most pianos have  a nose bolt fairly close to
>killer octave range and tenor break, to minimize this effect.  In some
>cases the plate web will be increased in height, and or, it's T
>construction design is used to compensate. Depending on the ductility of
>plate material. it will influence the shape of design, and what extra
>support will be required.  Further to this, many grands will have an added
>support structure that is under tension to help stabilize movement of the
>whole  system.   In the case of Steinway, the horn is under compression,
>the thin slats that fit across the beams tension.
>Many factors come in to play. due to torsional stresses. How much force is
>supported by the plate, beams, rim, integration of pin block to whole
>structure, and trapezium distortion of the rim. This is just to name a few.
>You have opened a real can of worms, that is extremely complex.
>No black and white answers, only case by case study will yield a few answers.
>
>Regards roger
>

>At 08:22 PM 17/08/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hi John,
>>
>>I can see temperature affecting the plate but not humidity. I am still
>>having trouble visualizing what you are trying to tell me. Interesting
>>suggestion that the duplex is a stability device. More worms anyone?
>>
>>At 09:46 PM 08/17/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>>>At 08:36 PM 08/17/2000 John Lillico stated
>>>
>>>Throw away the soundboard and bridge and just have your strings and plate.
>>If the plate doesn't swell with humidity, although I think it might, it
>>will at least be tilted somewhat through expansion of that upon which it
>>rests. The plate edge beyond the bridge keeps getting longer, not by note
>>but by string. This is on both grands and uprights and that's why your
>>right string is found to be at a greater tension than the left.
>>>
>>>This may not be as extreme where you have those "adjustable" duplux
>>doohickeys on some grands though.
>>>
>>>John Lillico, RPT
>>>Oakville, Ontario
>>>

>>Regards,
>>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>>
>>Tuner for the Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts
>>
>>drose@dlcwest.com
>>http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/
>>
>>3004 Grant Rd.
>>REGINA, SK