Humidity Change and Unisons

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:44:59 -0600

Hi John,

I agree that a broken string will cause the plate to move. But the same
effect would happen without a soundboard/wooden support structure. How does
humidity affect the plate? (Other than rust in extreme cases).

At 08:36 PM 08/17/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Sharp!
>
>Apparently, the broken string caused the plate to spread resulting in a
greater tension on the neighbouring strings. I'm no scientist, but I think
this is the same situation with the right string of a tri-chord being much
sharper than the left. Plate spread (from web to edge) can occur both
horizontally and vertically, just don't ask me to explain.

>John Lillico, RPT
>Oakville, Ontario

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com