Tilting Pianos (more)

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:54:49 -0400

>Since it wasn't mentioned and should be, bringing the piano back up from
>the tilted position is just as important to exercise care and caution, if
>not moreso, keeping in mind those rear casters wanting to do their own
>thing while you are trying to do yours   :-)
>
>Keith McGavern

I bought my new folding tilter back in 1965 on credit. I was so proud of this thing! When a customer explained that they had dismantled their old Heintzman upright (sides and all) in order to get it into their basement and asked if I could put it back together, I was extremely anxious to put the tilter to good use. Although the clarity of the sequence of events have long since been eroded by time, I distinctly remember attempting to manoeuvre the strung back lying upon the tilter from horizontal to vertical. With the rear wheels sliding away from me along the slippery floor upon contact, the top of the back slid down the tilter front, contacting the two forks and bending them about 40 degrees. This caused the tilter to take to the air and, almost at ceiling height, cartwheeled at least three complete revolutions until coming to rest atop the very still but loudly grumbling strung back half a basement away.

Although I had completely turned non-white, fraught with both shame and fear, the customer took pity and even welded my forks somewhat straight again.

All debts were eventually paid.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario