Hot Glue, Brush Management

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:37:34 -0400

Keeping the brush from the deep plunge has always been a problem.
When Craig Brougher (MMD List) mentioned using styrofoam peanuts
fIoating on top to support the brush and reduce evaporation, I saw the
practical benefits of this method. However, once; I left the pellets in
overnight and they somewhat disintegrated, I guess some are water
soluble in order for them to be bio-degradable.
I threw out that contaminated batch.

I'm not certain which list I read this on, but a few weeks ago someone
mentioned
that 'way back when' in the factory, the assemblers floated a piece of wood in
the glue pot for dipping the parts into.

In my scrap wood box I just happened to have a small piece which fit
comfortably
into the jar in the glue pot. This supported the brush and a gentle push
submerged
the wood to bring fresh glue to the surface with the resurfacing wood.
Long lost technology.

If I had the time and ambition I would scour the archives to see who posted
that
tidbit to thank them personally but this will have to do  :-)

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net