Steinway, Model M Grand knocking rattle noise

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:55:08 EDT

<< I have a customer with a Steinway M Grand which has several notes in
octave 3 that make a rattle or knocking noise when played.

Do I need to raise the upstop rail, adjust key dip or rebush the guide rail?

Greetings,
    I would try the easiest first. Rebush a few of the guide rail holes.  The
upstop rail has its own set of demands inre placement.  Noise isn't usually
one of them. When the upstop rail allows the sharp's dampers 1 mm freeplay
with damper pedal depressed,  you are in the ball park.  It is possible that
there is some hard surface on the upstop rail that the underlevers are
clacking against.
Regards,
Ed Foote