Yamaha pedal squeak

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:00:18 -0700

A pedal squeak can be elusive, especially when it goes away when you
start to investigate (and doesn't return for 2 weeks). Such was the case
with a C7 Yamaha, until recently when I was able to push up on the
pitman dowel and hear it squeak but the damper tray didn't squeak when
pushed with a screwdriver.

I looked at the dowel after I pulled it out. It had pins top and bottom
and the top pin was clad with a clear plastic sleeve. Looking closer, I
noticed that a part of the sleeve had worn through to the metal and, I
assume, was allowing metal to metal contact. I called Yamaha and found
out that no replacement part is available but that they recommend
removing the old sleeve and replacing with heat shrink tubing.

I didn't think this was widely known so I offer it to the List.

Tom