Clean Green Centers

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:16:00 -0400

>A client has a 100 year old Steinway upright, so sluggish its
>unplayable.
>The action centers are growing.
>

>I am rebushing/repinning all double flanges for the lady. This
>will make it work. Birds eyes are stained green, will clean out wood
>with
>alcohol.
>
>I'm curious if the consensus is that all action centers
>should be done, not just hammer double flanges, or I could get in
>trouble.

Willis & David Snyder have indicated that, incredible as it sounds,
verdigris (or its catalyst) will leach out from the wood, and
contaminate new felt bushings! This *sounds* very unlikely, but they
are very meticulous, and not prone to exaggeration. I think they had
soaked the wood flanges in perc, too!

The proper remedy: new parts, from Brooks Ltd.

Patrick Draine