Damn-Per Problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:26:03 -0600

Hi Terry
             You need at least 1/16" of follow on the bass strings. Damper
bleed was always a problem with this vintage of Hamilton.  Order a set of
triple bass dampers from Baldwin and you will greatly improve the piano.
Also, respace the strings to G below mid C and install tri damper felt for
another big improvement.  Yamaha is the felt of choice, the tips are not
too long, and string clearance is not a hassle. String braid the back scale
of the bass strings.

regards Roger

At 06:27 PM 14/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Doggone Dampers. I just tuned the Baldwin Hamilton that had the 1/2"
>pinblock/frame separation. When the plate was leaning forward (I just
>learned it was for several years), the strings were squishing the
>dampers...............and bending them backwards. Ahmmm, that's the 32 year
>old dampers. Upon drawing the plate back to position, most dampers were not
>setting upon their respective strings. I set forth my inexperienced little
>fingers to bend and mangle damper wires, and got them so that they LOOK to
>be operating properly. They do NOT SOUND like they are operating properly.
>Lots and lots and lots of little leaking here there and most everywhere.
>Mostly in the strings with wedge dampers.
>
>Is this just simply a case of old hard dampers (the bass dampers buzz a
>little) that when moved are never going to sit perfectly again? Is the only
>solution new dampers? This is a 32 year old kinda %$*& piano and I have a
>hard time encouraging the owner to spend another nickel on it. Bottom line:
>Is it my inability to regulate dampers (always had good luck with new
>dampers), or is it just that old hardened dampers will most often leak a bit
>and the only 100% solution is new dampers? HELP!
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com