Damn-Per Problem

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:42:28 EDT

Hi Terry,

Sounds like you got a mess there.  Try needling the bass dampers to soften
them up. (Use the worst one to experiment on first.)  If the trichord dampers
are bleeding I've had good success with tearing a layer of felt off the face.
 All this being said your damper regulating skills have to be good, first and
foremost.

If you haven't done a complete damper replacement on a vertical piano yet I
highly recommend it.  Restore an old upright.  This is what put the
regulating skills in my hands and head.  Don Valley wrote a series of
articles in the Journal called "Behold the Upright" (always loved the title,
so clever) and the damper discussion was in the Nov. 1995 issue.  The whole
series is excellent.
Bill Spurlock has a nine page Vertical Damper Replacement manual which is
also excellent.  If you call Spurlock Tools
707-452-8564 you can procure one.

Hopefully the customer will come around to putting a little more money into
the instrument.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Doug Mahard