Square Grand Tech Info

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:19:30 -0400

Hi Listies. Got me a rectangular horizontal piano in my shop yesterday. It
won't go away until I rebuild it. Woodward & Brown, Boston, 1882. Bigun @ 6'
9". Is there some authoritive source for technical info on 19th century
pianos. The purpose of this rebuild to not necessarily to do a 100%
historically accurate rebuild, but rather to "do what needs to be done to
make the piano look and play as good as it can."

I need to find details on hammer felt (will Abel re-felt square grand hammer
cores?) and leather types used. What types of strings did they use and what
frequency was A4 tuned to? What about regulation specifications? What about
the soundboard with those flat ribs. Were they crowned? Compression only?
Are there any other wierd things about them that I have yet to uncover? Any
help/guidance will be appreciated BIG TIME.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com