False, false beats?

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:48:00 -0400

>Hi all,
>
>A Wurlitzer 5' grand I've been tuning for a while gave me something new to
>think about.  I heard several notes with false beats that I had never heard
>before.  Seating the offending wires did nothing to help.  I did notice that
>when I played the notes standing up with my body to the curved side of the
>piano and head under the lid the beats were greatly diminished if not
>completely gone.  Going around to the other side of the piano the beats got
>worse.
>
>I'm am clueless as to what may be causing this.  The piano is in the same
>postion it has always been.
>
>Anyone ever encounter something like this?
>
>Doug Mahard

Doug,

It's hot now. Was there a fan going? Someone encountered this problem a few weeks ago.

A few years ago a student told me how poorly his teacher's piano sounded two weeks after I had tuned it. Turns out she (teacher) had the overhead fan on....hgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario