Contest + Oliver Cromwell

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 02:45:37 +0000

At 20:12 10.8.2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 08/09/2000 7:20:42 PM Central Daylight Time, Barrie writes:
>
><< >Ooooh, boy, or lad, if you will, are you in for it now!  May the
>  >appropriate deity have mercy on your soul!
>  >
>  >Kristinn
>
>  O' I think I'm past saving but there again the question is "do I want to
>  be saved".    Na !  I love me as I am - with no soul - no god or gods.
>

>  Barrie,
>   >>

>Kristinn,
>
>Do you get the feeling that Barrie understands perfectly well about Puritans?
>  <<__>>
>
>Stan Ryberg
>Barrington IL

I´m sure he learned about Cromwell, but you never know.  We´ll have to keep
a close eye on his development!
What happened to : "No sex please, we´re British"?

But seeing as I DO know about reprimands, here´s some tuning related stuff;

I had a pitch raise contest with my father this afternoon.
We simultaneously raised pitch from 440 to 443 on two Steinbachs (these
we´re new pianos going out)

I didn´t clock the overall time but it was quite exciting.

It was a sunny day, but there was an eerie feeling looming over the Leifur
H. Magnússon music store.

This was a battle of two generations, a battle that would result in utter
humiliation for the loser.  The winner would storm away with an " I
told you so! " so sweet and oozing that poems would be sung about that very
moment of truth.

As we started off into the treble I got way faster.
I was soon a full octave ahead.
When I had one octave left to the top, my father concluded that a large
area of his piano didn´t need raising since his treble was sharp and WHAM!
he was onto me.

We were tuning them almost side by side, sweat dripping onto the notes,
soaking into the wood and causing future sticking.

We we´re tuning the same notes all the time, resulting in tremendous
confusion and possible string damage!

When we started down the bass I thought to myself that I would catch up
with him due to my superior alternating tuning style i.e.  muting two
notes, tuning the right string of the upper one and left string of the
lower one, and then the unisons, resulting in less movement all in all.
(He likes tuning both strings of the note and then moving onto the next one.)

For some reason he was two strings ahead while cleaning up the unisons from
the temperament strip.

Then suddenly, I heard a "Nei djöfullinn!"
(meaning literally : "No, the devil!" (sounds religious translated like
that).

He had reached an oversized tuning pin.  His hammer didn´t fit the bastard!
So I vvvvvrrrrroooooommmed past him while he found an adequate tip,
finishing 8.3 seconds ahead of the 54 year-old gargantuan!
The young shall triumph, for their metabolism is better and they can handle
nine tequila shots in one evening! (Okay, never again, I know)

Kristinn Leifsson
Reykjavík, Iceland

P.S. Both pianos sounded just AWFUL afterwards   ;)