Bolduc Soundboards and pipe clamps (offlist)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:03:11 EDT

Hi, Terry:

I have sent out a 1926 "D" to Brian Alexander of Key One in LA (now
advertises in the Journal).  He has just started on it.  Frankly I am using
him because I could afford him and I couldn't get much response from Nick.
In this case he is doing everything up to rough bridge caps, including gluing
the bridge on and the board in the piano, for under $4K including local
moving.
I have seen and heard his work - played a Sty "A" he did that was xlnt.  He
seems to be quite knowledgable, but I talked with Peg Browne who had a few
minor reservations - not enough to stop me from using him, though - they were
related to bearing setting, and I will be doing that myself.

He will do a "board in a box" too.  He may do the radius crown to order.

I have heard excellent reports about Nick's boards, but you have to work hard
to connect with him - if you want him to call you, let him call collect, etc
- he gets a lot of calls, and has to sort out the price shoppers from the
genuine article.  He has sold many boards to So Calif techs, including
Richard Davenport, Alan Eder, David Vanderlip and Peg Browne.  I am told that
the "D" which Richard did for 20th Century Fox is an absolute screamer,
everything they wanted and more.   That was a Gravagne board.

I will have my "D" done and delivered 5/01 - the hall is big and dead, and I
need a screamer too.  I hope it is has some punch then, and I hope it matures
in the next year to become a powerful enough piano for the orchestra and hall
it will be used for - feel free to ask me about it then!

I just bought a couple of pipe clamps from that great retailer of cheap
tools, Harbor Freight Tools.  One is a 4 1/2" "Pony" for $11, the other is a
7" Taiwanese special which is on sale for $6 (regularly $11).  Certainly
enough throat depth, but I wonder if the heavy duty bar clamps are more
convenient, since there is no danger of the clamps swiveling or twisting,
denting the cabinet or just being more ornery than a bar clamp might be.

Bill

In a message dated 8/10/00 2:04:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,