Pinblock/Frame Separation Report!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:28:36 -0500

Yo, and like that.

While pipe clamps are pretty good squeezers of things thin, or edges of
things thick, they don't have the throat depth for reaching over the outer
rim installing soundboards. Like Father Jim said, that done be a whole
'nother world.

What you need for the fabled "Soundboard Installation Experience" is "F"
clamps. I use 4 1/2" throat depth x 24" long around the rim, and 2 1/2" x
18" along the belly rail. My bigger clamps came from New Mexico
Woodworking. I wanted Bessey, originally, but couldn't seem to find a
supplier, so I went with these. At half the cost of the Besseys, they have
proven to be adequate, if not as wonderful. The smaller clamps are Bessey,
from Home Depot, and are truly wonderful. Both sets of clamps are longer
than is strictly needed for soundboard installation, but once you have them
hanging in the shop, you'll be surprised how often you reach for them while
your pipe clamps collect dust in a dark corner. Keep the pipe clamps
though, for the next pinblock bolting gig, because the "F" clamps are too
deep throated to be suitable for crushing things.

Record makes good "F" clamps too, and Grizzly lists some decent looking 4"
throat clamps at very good prices. I recommend ordering one clamp each from
different suppliers and use them in the shop for awhile to decide for
yourself how spoiled you need to be. Hint: buy a better clamp than you
think you minimally need, or you'll be disappointed later.

As for the rhapsodic philosophic sagacity surrounding soundboard
installation. Basically, it's pieces of wood glued together. You can do
everything reverently, meticulously "right" and end up with a living
breathing miracle, a hunk of dead wood, or anything in between, without
being able to see anything different from the top. The more you learn about
how they work, the better your odds of installing a living, breathing, etc.
The installation itself is just woodwork.

> Hey, do your first around Gasparilla time and we can introduce the Sage to
>real Pirates!!
>Jim Bryant (FL)

What's a Gasparilla, a Smog Ape? While we're at it, did you know that
"impeccable" is defined as the ability to avoid being bitten by chickens?

Ron N