Pinblock/Frame Separation Report!

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:21:59 EDT

Terry writes,
<< Hello Ed Foote: (My wife LOVES the Vallotti temperment I put on her piano -

me too!)

Greetings,
    Great!  The Vallotti is a time-proven arrangement, and was held in high
regard for many years during the keyboards maturation.  I use a Young,
usually, as it keeps the tonality centered in the same place that almost
everybody else did, but realistically, the difference in centering tonality
on F or C is not something that 21st century ears are ready to discern, (but
someday, perhaps).  I am glad you like the change, and hope it opens up new
musical horizons for y'all.

Inre the surgery on the frame and pinblock:

>>An experienced technician in my area stated that he typically charges $150

to do a pinblock separation repair. I think that figure would work well for

the standard two-foot long, 1/8 inch wide crack (maybe three of four bolts &

some Titebond). That would give me about three hours total for the repair -

should be enough. >>

   I would have thought the tricky job of repairing something like a
separated rim to run more . It may be instructive to compare this work and
fee to a refrigerator repair person's visit.  For a $30 part, and a 54 minute
"visit",  the charge was $ 139.  ("service charge + hourly rate+part+tax).
This was on a $500 piece of equipment that isn't expected to operate more
than 10-15 years.
    I think we oughta be as valuable as other appliance repair services! (:)}}
Thanks for the note,
Ed Foote RPT