Pinblock/Frame Separation Report!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 21:23:54 -0400

Hello Ed Foote: (My wife LOVES the Vallotti temperment I put on her piano -
me too!)

An experienced technician in my area stated that he typically charges $150
to do a pinblock separation repair. I think that figure would work well for
the standard two-foot long, 1/8 inch wide crack (maybe three of four bolts &
some Titebond). That would give me about three hours total for the repair -
should be enough. I would have to make a second appointment to do the repair
though (two hours), because I do not carry big drills and bolts and clamps
with me all the time - so a third hour would come in the form of the initial
service call (I would lower the pitch an appropriate amount at that time and
measure for bolts, etc.). Add for a pitch raise/adjust and a tuning.

The repair I did was more extensive, and I think caution was appropriate,
hence more time (& more bolts!) and greater fee.

First call - inspect, measure, pitch lower = basic service call charge (one
hour)
Second Appt. - clamp, drill, bolt, epoxy, with crossed fingers, clean up,
etc. = three hours
Third Appt. - remove clamps, trim bolts, assemble/clean piano (pinblock
felt), pitch raise, tune = three hours
materials consumed (epoxy & hardware) = about $30

Hey, now I have ten of the thirty or so clamps I'll need for my first
soundboard!!!!!!! :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida