pianotech-digest V2000 #655

Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:12:31 -0400

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:29:39 -0400 (EDT) toto@fovea.pndr.upenn.edu writes:

> Hello to all,
>
> My name is Larry Toto.  I have been monitoring the pianotech digest
> for about 6-8 months.  I live just outside Philadelphia and have
> just
> reshimmed, planed, sanded, and french polished the soundboard of a
> Chickering grand (1927).  Wow!  What a finish that french polish
> creates.  It took me a while to learn a decent technique, but
> mistakes
> are easy to correct with shellac.  The depth of the finish is
> something
> to see.
>
> My question to the combined wisdom of the pianotech group is this.
> I wish to apply a varnish type decal to the soundboard.  My
> intention
> is to leave the shellac finish as the only coating of the soundboard
> because the sheen is so beautiful.  I would like to apply the decal
> using shellac. Is this inadvisable?  I have heard shellac loosely
> defined
> as varnish elsewhere.  I have applied decals using lacquer in the
> past, but
> thay were going onto lacquered surfaces.  I hesitate to use lacquer
> the decal only for fear that the sheen will be distinct around the
> decal
> region.
>
> Any suggests or warnings would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Larry Toto
> Elkins Park, PA
> toto@fovea.pndr.upenn.edu

Hi Larry -

I agree with Rob's remarks wholeheartedly.  I always felt like the
varnish decals had about a 50% chance of going on without failure.  What
was the rule of thumb.... order three just in case......?  The rub-on
decals from Decals Unlimited are almost impossible to screw up.

IF you feel strongly about using the varnish decal, and want to try it
with shellac, I can't imagine that you would necessarily have problems,
but the timing would be very critical, and the placement would be akin to
lining up pieces to be joined with contact cement.  No room for operator
error.

I prefer a little less excitement when applying my decals!

Also, you may consider spraying on a coat or two of shellac after
applying the decal, instead of french polishing or brushing, to minimize
the potential for snagging a corner of a letter.  You could then safely
finish up with a top coat that was 'frenched' on.

Good Luck..... you may need it!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com