Charles Frederick Stein

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:21:09 -0400

I restored a C F Stein some years ago.  I rescaled it
considerably, new hammers and shanks, dampers, pinblock, key
bushings, refinished and it sounded quite good.  I was a bit
surprised about the scale, a bit off the wall and I had to
install two wound unisons in the middle mostly because the
pins were so close together a normal tip would not fit on
them.  Bichords helped the scale and fixed the other problem
as well.

A fairly nice second line piano.

I did have the pleasure of meeting C. F. Stein a couple of
years before he died.  He was a real gentleman, a gentle
man, knowledgeable, sharing and a hero of mine and many
others as well.  San Diego 1965.   Some things in life are
never to be forgotten.  If you restore or rebuilt it it can
be a nice piano.

		Newton