A Fallen Upright

Patrick C. Poulson ppoulson@jps.net
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 13:53:05 -0700

Hello All! I was called out to look at a 1906 upright that fell over on its
back when the cleaning lady tried to move the piano by herself.  It fell
squarely, and when I came to see it the piano was back upright.  No damage
to bridges, very little to the action except for a few broken hammer shanks,
and the keys were out of postion with some front rail punchings out of
place.  However, when i looked closer I realized that the action had somehow
shifted at the bass end so that the capstans were progressively less and
less aligned with the bottom of the stickers, until by note 1 the capstan
was barely making contact.  Also there was a lot of lost motion on every
key.  I suspected that the keybed had dropped, but I couldn't find any sign
of movement - no open glue joints, no splits, no movement when I tried to
wiggle the keybed by hand, nothing that would indicate it had shifted.  My
intial diagnosis is
    1. The bass side support stud bent forward, pulling the action bracket
forward which in turn had pulled the stickers out of line
    2. The action bracket bolts had all bent upward, pulling the action up
and off the keys enough to cause the lost motion.
    Somehow I feel like I'm missing something here, becasue it seems that a
fall hard enough to cause the stud and bolts to move would have left more
visible signs.  I also find it hard to believes that the fall cauld actually
cause them to bend so much, although that seems to be the only conclusion I
can come to.  Has anyone every experienced this kind of problem, or would
care to hazard an alternate diagonis?  Thanks for your help, Patrick
Poulson, RPT