those @#$%&*! silks

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:30:27 -0100

Hi,

and Terry wrote:

> I do NOT use silk,
> or carpet thread or anything of the sort, but rather 15lb. monofilament

I tested two replacement materials by burning: Yamaha's smells like
plastic, Pianotek's like cotton.

Wool fibers can be bent over on themselves 20000 times, opposed to 2000
for cotton and 1000 for silk, if I remember correctly. I'm sure similar
information is available for synthetic monofilaments, and I would guess
it decreases for larger diameters: perhaps the reason Yamaha's is cord.

CLark