Puzzler

Clarks11628@AOL.COM Clarks11628@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 19:52:22 EDT

Dear List,
    I have a puzzler for anyone out there who is familiar with the new Mark
III Yamaha Disklavier pianos.  We got a new DGH1BA MkIII in the other day,
and the first thing we noticed, after I tuned it was that the keys were
bouncing all over the place upon playback.  After tightening the screws, and
bedding the keyframe, doing some minor regulation, everything seemed pretty
OK (which most Yamaha pianos seem to come in at least pretty Ok), I performed
Soft and Loud pedal measurement.  The answer was, pass, adjust loud pedal.
    After setting the loud pedal to the specs, it still said to adjust loud
pedal.  Then I did Keyboard measurement, and came up with a lot of keys with
pass numbers, almost all of which were pedal numbers (18,28,38) in both pedal
phases.
    I went in and adjusted the pedals again today, and when you get the
bottom measurements to spec, the top doesn't work properly (bad lift, timing
is wrong).  When you get the top working as it should, the measurements are
way off spec.
    To top it all off, I noticed a "clicking" sound when keyboard measurement
was going on, and I found a solenoid laying across some other solenoids, way
out of place.
    Any ideas out there, all you Yamaha experts?  I need help, and Yamaha
didn't call me back in time today (although I'm sure they will).

Clark Sprague
Associate Member
Detroit