got your article

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:23:34 PDT

Ric,
  Maybe you should try the Library of Congress for the originals.  You can
search online, (I think it's LOC.gov)
My partner was thrilled to be able to actually hold an original handwritten
note by G.I. Gurdjieff when he was at the Library of Congress.  Many things
can be sent to you from the LOC via your own library through interlibrary
loan, that is one of their mandates, to make things available to the
citizens of this country that they cannot get otherwise.  worth a try.
Diane

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: got your article
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:28:21 -0500

Hi Susan,
     I got your snail mail today.  Great article.  Great pictures.  How the
heck did you get the one of the chute in a dental mirror?

     I have the instructions of Pietro Aaron typed out.   I am going to do
an
annotation sentence by sentence, I can send it as an attachment if you like.

     Did I tell you I stopped at UVa and saw microfilms of Thomas
Jefferson's
music collection? There were two tuning schemes stuck in there in odd
places.  That was on the first roll, there were four more but I ran out of
time.  Also they did not let me make copies because I needed permission from
Montecello.   Too bad because it takes a group effort to determine exactly
what a few of the notes are.  The lines (staff) are blurred in the film and
it takes time to study it.   If I was reall smart I would have copied it,
given it to the librarian along with a few bucks to cover mailing in case
Montecello would give me permission in the comming days. Actually I would
think Montecello would need to see the copies before they give permission.
I don't see why copying form microfilm is so touchy.  From the original
documents, that I can see.  Actually I would like to see the original
documents to see how well the microfilm reproduced.  Oh well a good reason
to go back east again.
The selection of music was interesting.  Mozart, and C P Bach.  (I didn't
see the "E")   I don't think it was J.C.  and a bunch of others.  But I
didn't have time to write down the titles, just glance at them.  Also were
pieces collected by Jefferson's daughter, while in Paris in 1789.   Pieces
that were lessons, exercises in her  hand(I presume) and also another tuning
scheme.  But it made no sense what ever.  I think she copied some notes
wrong, or the staff lines were so faint I read them wrong.   I did "trace"
part of it so I have that much at least. I don't think that was illegal, but
I ain't telling either.  ; ) ---ric