Bridge gain delamination

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:55:53 -0400

Roger Jolly wrote:

>  If it is an exposed vertical lamination like Baldwin then the fix I
> suggested works well. If there is a cap and it is not split, how would you
> see the seperation?
>
> Mystified Roger

Well if it were a vertical laminated bridge gain, you've got a point. But I
usually see the diagonal joint in the solid body bridge gains of (older) Yamahas
and Kawais, and when a "glue line" is *too* visible I look extra close. On some
unfortunate occasions it's obvious that the joint is weakening. Sometimes (an
older gray markey Kawai) it opens up an eighth inch (fortunately this customer
finally replaced the heap with a new St. B)! Usually it's just a dark glue line,
and I relax and go back to the tuning.

Patrick