Humidity and new parts

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:51:41 -0600

Hi Karin,
              The Renner bushings are coated in graphite which is
hygroscopic, thus attracts moisture.  The Abel bushings are clean, and do
not experience the same problem.

The machining tolerances seem very similar, but they are 1gm lighter.

You will travel far less wippens than using the ''Genuine Parts''.  The
Hornbeam machines better, and IMHO is far more stable.

Regards Roger

At 10:19 PM 31/07/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm replacing the repetitions in a S&S model C which has (from a 70's
>rebuild) teflon bushings and hard, noisy pads in the reps.
>
>My problem is... the piano is used to the local 70+ humidity.
>If I dehumidify it, I'm afraid the other friction points and block will get
>loose.  I need new parts that can take some humidity without swelling.  I
was
>planning to get S&S factory parts at the owner's request, but I don't know
if
>they will tighten up.
>I hope someone can suggest an alternate high-quality brand that can take the
>wet.  Renner didn't work out in another piano here.  Japanese?
>
>Karin Schmitt
>Florida Keys

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.