Wurlitzer Grand

Larry J Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:59:56 -0700

I don't know what you have tried but my present favorite repair for
stripped screw holes is to cut a strip of thin leather the width of the
hole and twice as long as the hole is deep.  Then, Tite-bond in the hole,
fold the leather in half along a mute handle wire and press it into the
hole making a V in the hole.  Insert the screw and let it dry before
stressing it.

The moisture in the glue softens the leather and makes threads into which
the screw can really bite.

Not as perfect as drill and plug, but a lot less work.

Larry Messerly RPT
Prescott/Phoenix

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:25:01 -0500 "Ralph Black" <ralphbl@mindspring.com>
writes:
> I have a client who has a seven year old Wurlitzer grand...Korean
> made...that has had one of the three screw holes holding the action
> return
> spring strip out. I have tried a few methods of plugging the hole
> and
> replacing the screw, none of which has worked. As soon as I press
> the soft
> pedal...POP!...out comes the screw. I should mention that this does
> not
> include drilling, plugging and redrilling. I checked with the
> selling dealer
> as to whether this might be covered under warranty but no one there
> seemed
> to know about things like warranties. :-)  My question is simply,
> does
> anyone have any ideas for a permanent fix. All contributions
> gratefully
> received!
>
> Thanx,
>
> Ralph Black