clicking key

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:40:00 -0400

Hi Ed,

I don't see many Yamahas, so forgive me if I'm off in left field.

As for the pedal rod problem.  I've seen one or two pianos where the top of
the rod had worn a spot in the leather that it contacted in such a way as to
make the thing try to move in a direction that the guides don't permit.
I've also seen the leather / rubber / felt thingies that support a pedal rod
on the bottom wear through and make all kinds of racket.  I've seen the
metal pins that go through the middle of the pedal get loose and squeak as
well. Probably not much help.

For clicking in the action, ... where to even begin...

I'd be looking for something loose, like a key upstop rail nut, or a hammer
rest rail nut, especially if it's more of an area than a particular note.

I'd also be looking for something like a part that's loose such as the
little spoon that catches the jack at rest, or a repetition spring that's
clicking against something.

Another thing I've seen on occasion is the hammer shank coming down far
enough upon return to the rest rail / pad that it will actually tap the jack
height adjustment screw.

And then there's things like hammer head glue joints failing, and key leads
loose in the keys, even hard knuckles... the list can get pretty long, and
others have already mentioned other things.

I apologize for not being more familiar with Yamahas, but I had to put in my
two cents.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you find as well.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net