open face pinblock

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:39:17 -0500

>I wanted to use some highly figured mahogany crotch veneer that I've been
>saving, but am wondering if something a little less exotic might stand a
>better chance of staying together when we drill the block.
>
>Owen

Owen,
I've done it by brushing plenty of thin epoxy on both sides of the veneer
and clamping it to the block with a flat backing caul and a sheet of
acetate between the veneer and the caul. This squeezes some epoxy down into
the veneer where it will hold the wood together when you drill it. After
the epoxy cures, take off the caul, peel the acetate off, and fit the block
as usual. Then, before you mount the block permanently, lightly sand the
veneer, and top coat it with another layer of epoxy and, after it cures you
can steel wool it some to break the gloss. Mount and drill as usual.

I've done this at least a couple of times with no problems, but I will be
interested in other suggestions.
Ron N