restringing

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:07:19 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_009E_01BFB13C.97C83DE0
Thank you Mark

I shall try it, this is my actual tool,=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mark Story=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 5:28 PM
  Subject: Re: restringing

  Elian,

  I seem to have missed this topic the first time around, but I once =
tried various methods of extracting the old pins as well. I found that =
turning the pins out by hand can actually heat the pinblock wood more. I =
determined that the quickest I can get the pin out of the hole, the less =
heating overall occurs. I think you would have to turn the pin very slow =
(like maybe less than 1/4 revolution per second) to avoid heating the =
pin. Consequently, I use a 1/2" or 13mm drill motor with a star socket =
at 500 rpms or more, which will normally extract the pin in around two =
seconds. Surprisingly, the pins while warm, come out cool enough to =
handle.

------=_NextPart_001_009E_01BFB13C.97C83DE0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_009E_01BFB13C.97C83DE0--