List archives & the never ending repeating...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:14:17 -0500

>FWIW,
>
>most e mail clients can be set not to quote the original message in replies.
>It would certainly cut down on the volume of messages if everyone went into
>your e mail preferences and set it not to quote.  Then we wouldn't have long
>messages with a few words as a reply.
>
>Ray T. Bentley, RPT

The trouble then is, what's the reply to? When you hit "reply", you get the
original message with a shiny new chevron at the beginning of each line.
Folks, this is editable text. Highlight the non-pertinent junk and delete
it. None of you are too tired or too unintelligent to be able to manage a
little mercy pruning for the rest of us, and it's not too tough to decide
what to leave to minimally identify the source for the reply. Also, I'd
like to see blank lines, or some sort of delimiter or indicator to help us
find the new text that's interspersed through the old when that's done.
Frankly, if the poster is too lazy to trim the four layers of thread out of
his reply, I can't get too enthusiastic about spending the time trying to
sift his comments out of the trash.

That's not a rant, just a plea for a little intelligently applied courtesy.

Ron N