stringing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:15:54 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/00 7:46:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
lesbart1@juno.com writes:

<< I'd appreciate some discussion of removal of tuning pins prior to
 restringing.  I've been told to pull them fast, as with an electric
 drill, but that scorches the hole, and I've been told to pull them
 slowly, as with a tuning hammer, but that causes wear through flagpoling. >>

Since the pin block will not be replaced, you want to turn the tuning pins
out slowly. Use a variable speed reversible drill at low speed. This will
remove the pins slowly, thus preventing scorching, but at a straighter angle
than if you used a tuning hammer, which will cause flagpoling.

Willem