ELIAN.off topic

Hans E. Sanders hesand01@louisville.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:36:27 -0400

Don't you have enough to do with pianos? I am amazed how much time is spent being unproductive. To some of you, may be the goverment is paying for even the "off topic".

Hans Sander, RPT

>>> mstory@ewu.edu 04/26/00 02:55PM >>>
I found this an interesting comment. I was talking about this topic last
week with a Cubana friend of mine. She said that the extreme position of
both sides is due in a large part to "el Santerismo" or Santeria, a
spiritistic religion with African animist roots. Both sides (including
Fidel) view the boy as a "profeta" due to his "miraculous" survival of the
tragic voyage ( the dolphins and all that). They are fighting over him
because they believe his presence brings good luck. One of the TV reports on
this showed a group of the Santarismos conducting rituals only a block away
from the house where the boy was being held. Fidel in particular is
concerned over his physical survival, since he is 73 years old. To me, this
explained a lot of the fanaticism - that and the always reliable
nationalism.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington