WORST mishap...

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:28:25 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2000 10:05:43 PM, Richard wrote:

<<"Now here's my question; how many times while moving a piano have you said
"let it go!"?">>

Richard..... Just once :-(
 I was doing a subcontract complete interior rebuild sans refinishing for
another tech on a little mid grade grade.  The customer did not want to pay
for refinishing, for what reason I don't remember.  While bringing the
thingee down from the truck bed on the loading ramp (rental truck) The person
at the bottom who was supposed to be balancing the thingee to keep it from
tipping decided that it would be easier from the skid board than the top side
of the case!!!
 Well the sucker tipped over, I hollored---GET OUT OF THE WAY AND LET IT
GO!!!!
It did......... right off the ramp and onto one corner and then did a half
gainer on to the top.  Surprisingly there was little actual drastic damage to
the case and none to the inside of the piano!!!! Of course the finish was
thouroughly scratched, dinged, gouged and abused..................Oh! one
little exception to the case damage...The rim/case completely separarted from
the inner rim/soundboard
:-(((((((
  Well to make a long story shorter the customer got back a 'completely'
rebuilt/refinished grand...customer was happy, the tech was happy and I now
ALWAYS take the bottom balance position when bringing a piano down a ramp!!!!!
  Still better to "let it go" then try to mend broken legs, arms, backs,
Jim Bryant (FL)