Time Machine.

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:04:22 -0700

When I worked for a dealer we often got old uprights in on trade.  Dealers
often do that to make a sell even though they have no intention on reselling
it.  They typically got dumped into the huge ten foot high pile of busted up
pianos behind the warehouse.  In one particular case the movers brought one in
which they claimed was the heaviest upright piano they had ever moved.  I
pushed it across the shop floor and with the frozen up old steel wheels it was
just about impossible.  I opened the bottom of the piano and discovered the
thing was chock full of church hymnals, and I mean completely full.  They were
extremely old and falling apart.  I saved one for my collection.  I would guess
they had been in there for the better part of 100 years!  I can't imagine why
someone would want to fill a piano up with hymnals.

I am a mechanical music nut.  About a dozen years ago I rebuilt a CA-43 Tangley
Calliope, (the most popular in it's day).  There had been some extensive work
done on it in 1939, (If I remember the date correctly).  There was a signature
of the tech who did the work, Mr. "Levitt Brown".  Good ol' levitt!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV