Beware! Worn out tuning tip.

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:23:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2000 10:32:42 AM, Paul C. wrote:

<<"But I've often wondered if the tip was worn or could be

worn. The fit to the pin is snug, and it has a great feel to it, but I have

little experience with other hammers to know if my tip fits properly to the

pin. All my tunings are solid.">>

Paul;
 I don't think I have ever seen or heard a discussion of "worn' tips or how
to tell if they are worn.  The hammer I use out of preference is a hale
extension hammer circa late 1800s. I have a total of seven wrest plank
wrenches (hammers :) in various configurations. Some I keep in the shop for
rebuilding work and I keep two in the car in my spare tool kit.

  As to fit of a specific tip to a specific pin??? I don't know if this is a
possibility over the total range of pins you might run into. Commonly found
in all tuning pins are: various taper angles, differing lengths of taper and
different widths at the top of the taper. (the same things hold true for the
tips themselves) This being the case....... a specific #2 tip may not work
well on all #2 pins.
  How to tell when a tip is worn out?  Well what comes to mind are: When the
tip damages the tuning pin.....When the tip has a broken star point on the
inside...When the tip develops a crack in the wall of the tip.....When it
will 'not' work well on 'most' of the pins you try it on.......I am sure
there are more indicators of a "worn" tip, maybe someone else will add to the
list.
  In my opinion there is no magic tip size out there because of the various
imponderable differences as well as the ponderable differences :-) of all the
possible combinations.......If this is true, then how do we tell which tip(s)
we should use?  Well one way is to find that one tip which feels right to
your technique and stick with it accepting the good points of
feel/functionality and the not so good points as well. There ain't no magic
bullet out dere and dat goes fo tips too.
  What do I use on my favorite hammer? An old, as opposed to a new version,
Hale #2 tip.
My Thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)