Soundboards

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:15:55 -0500

>	My gut response is...tell the truth up front...if you can physically
>identify it.

That's exactly what I try to do. That's probably why I'm always in some
kind of trouble.

>It's hard to tell someone who just spent thousands or even 10s of
>thousands that their instrument is flawed or even that word that Kristen
>used.

I can do that too. Strangely enough, I don't have trouble with the piano's
owners. They realize I'm trying to look out for their best interest, short
of actually throwing myself on someone's sword.

>	As long as you have evidence to prove your point then you're on solid
>ground, whether the problem is resolved or not.

Therein lies the problem. To most of the piano world, a soundboard problem
is a voicing problem, or bad dampers, or leaky casters, or whatever.
There's no such thing as proof of something nobody will believed in no
matter what they see or hear.

>Remember, you didn't
>create this problem, you only found it and pointed it out. I put it back
>on the dealer for they are the direct connection to the manufacturer and
>thus the ones to hash it out.

Yep, I know and yep, I do. I have one in the works now that's in it's third
year, with no resolution. I still get periodic non-reports from my
customer, and I still tune her piano a couple of times a year to try to
keep her sane through the process.

>	I know this isn't what you're looking for but I had a visceral reaction
>(and I've read this 4 times).

Me too, I really do hate this kind of situation. It ought to be so much
simpler.

Ron N