Books on temperament

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:53:06 -0500

Someone was asking recently about books on temperament, and the usual
suspects came up (Barbour, Jorgensen, Helmholtz/Ellis etc.). I thought Id
mention one I just got (I love used book stores, maybe when I retire, hah!)
called 'The Structure of Recognizable Diatonic Tunings' by Easley
Blackwood, Princeton U Press. It seems to be a highly mathematical
comparison of tuning methods, if I ever get through it I'll post a review.
Also for sheer oddity you cant beat Harry Partch's 'Genesis of a Music',
anyone interested in alternate tunings will enjoy some of it.