The two commas

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:30:58 -0500

> 1/3SCM has pure 6/5's; Salinas, who published the first (known)
> description of this meantone reportedly had a 19-tone positive organ.

> Meantones can be worked out arithmetically.
>

> Clark

That is what I would like to see.  The arithmetic steps they used in working
these out.  That 1/3 comma is supposed to give pure minor 3rds. I can do it
on a spread sheet, but the spread sheet (not me) uses advanced math.  That a
certain comma leads to 19 tone ET.  Amazing that they arrived at this.
Curious to know what their step by steps were.      ---ric