Wim's observations, another viewpoint

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:41:43 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/00 5:47:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< Back in the dark days when I was a transient ward of the educational
 system, counsellors would set me down and ask me what I planned to do
 professionally for the rest of my life. They really really liked the phrase
 "for the rest of your life", as I recall, and used it a lot. I'd answer
 that I didn't know, because I hadn't yet seen a complete list of the
 available options. To this day, I still haven't. Meanwhile, the time wasted
 on these sessions would have been much better spent eating something
fattening.

 Ron N

In a sense I agree with you, Ron. But if high school kids aren't even told
about piano tuning as a way to make a living, they won't even consider it. As
the survey said, the average age of new piano tuners is 40. Why does it have
to be a profession that is thought of late in life? Why can't it be something
that is done right after high school or college. Then by the time a piano
tech is 40, he/she can opt for a new career. (Mortician?)

I just think we need to make our presence known. I think I'll try to sign up
at career day at several high schools.

Willem