Soundboards

Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:42:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 20, 2000 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboards

> The six-foot kimball likely sounds good because Kimball happened to get a
> decent shape/downbearing/glue joint to the board, and it is ALOT bigger
than
> those plywood spinets & consoles (I see alot of them and do not notice
much
> difference between them & solid spruce at that size).

Well, let's not fall into this trap.  Soundboard size has very little to do
with anything until they get too large.  Then they are difficult to control.
Shape matters as do a bunch of other design elements having to do with the
other differences between a spinet/console and a considerably larger grand,
but, at least with some practical limits, size is not usually a factor.

Del