An observation - a prediction - somewhat off-topic

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:58:48 EDT

Rook, and others

My dad was a piano tuner. While I was in high school I helped him in the
shop, but he and I never talked about how much money he was making, or
discussed my future in the business. It wasn't until I was laid off from
teaching, and spent a year trying to sell life insurance, that I took a close
look at the economics of tuning pianos. During that year of selling
insurance, I somehow got by, and with the help of my father in law, on about
$6000. When the idea of being a piano tuner came to me, I did some
calculations. 4 tunings a day 5 days a a week, for 50 weeks at $25 a tuning,
comes to $25,000. After only making $6000, $25000 was like hitting the jack
pot. Although I didn't quite make $25000 my first year, I at least found a
career I knew I could do, and be happy with.

I think one of the reasons more young people aren't coming into the field is
that high school counselors and college piano professors never mention this
as a possible career. And part of the reason for that might be our fault. How
many of you have approached a high school counselor, or talked to a college
piano professor, about getting young people interested in a career of piano
tuning. (I haven't.)

This summer I have as an apprentice a high school student who is at the
Interlochen Performing Arts Academy. Rolf von Walthausen, is the tech there,
and he is working with some of the students. This young man wants to be a
concert artist one day, but also wants to know how to take care of his won
instrument.

Which brings me to the next problem. How many piano students, much less piano
performers, know anything about their piano? I play French horn, and know how
to repair my own instruments.  Most instrumentalist know how to take care of
their own instruments. But very few piano players know how to tune, much less
do any kind of repair or regulation.

I think we, as a profession, in order to perpetuate our trade, need to
approach high schools and colleges and get more young people interested in
piano tuning. Then we won't have the problems Phil warned us about.

Wim