An observation - a prediction - somewhat off-topic

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 06:18:04 -0400

Good Morning all - and a Happy Easter/Passover to everyone.

Using the people on this list that have responded to the 'age' thread as my only
guide, I would say anyone who is in their 30's and 40's had better stay in good
physical condition - you are going to be more in demand in the coming years.
There does not appear to be an influx of young people entering this trade - now I
know this is the kind of business that lends itself to being 'handed down', and
there is the possibility that there are more people in the trade schools than I
am aware of - I hope I am wrong - I hope young people see our profession as a
good, honest, in-demand type of field.

Is it wrong for me to say that almost all of us entered this field from another?
>From my vantage point, this profession is something that some people 'fall' into,
or realize after years of inability to get happy in another field(guily,musician)
that we find this field to be quite the opposite from the field where we were.

Speaking for myself, when I was a working(?) musician, I had to make my 'phone
ring' - by hustling and doing 'the hang', which I truly despised. Since becoming
a Piano Technician, I find myself not hustling for work...the work seems to be
coming right to my lap - that's a big change from what I am use to..and frankly,
I love it!

When I chose to learn this field, it was my hope that it was the kind of field
that I could be productive in in my later years and still be somewhat in
demand..it looks like being productive is what you're going to be comfortable
with..being in demand is something that will precede your reputation(?)..but from
the general age group of this list, those in their 30's and 40's should be
thinking that the work will only increase in time if you want it to - that means
that you will be in demand.

Did anybody else observe this, or should I just go back to bed???

Rook