AUDIO RECORDING OF ACTUAL TUNING

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:11:15 -0500

Tom,

I do not know about the recording.

What has helped me a great deal in listening to beat rates is listening for
them at the pitch of the coincident partials. If you are having trouble with
4ths and 5ths, it may help you. If tuning a 4th, listen at the 4:2
coincident partial. Example: for F3-Bb3, you would listen at F5. If tuning a
5th, listen at the 2:1. Example: F3-C4, you would listen at C5. There are
some tests for 4ths and 5ths--look in Jorgensen _Tuning_ book, or I can
write about those later.

You also might check the quality and/or thickness of your muting material.
If it does not mute well, you get a lot of extra junk, especially if the
piano is not at pitch. I use the 1 inch felt from APSCO, but it is basically
action cloth. If you do a lot of verticals, you can trim one end so that the
hammers do not hit the felt at the upper midrange end before the break.

Not sure if this is what you needed since you mentioned counting beats using
the metronome as a reference. I have been blessed not to have too much
trouble with being able to accurately "beat" a second interval. For some
reason, a second has always been a "natural" beat for me. Maybe because I
spent a lot of time in church counting my pulse rate, watching the seconds
tick by. (When I was young, of course)  :-)

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS