Soundboards

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:13:31 -0400

As an amateur guitar builder for the last 19 years, I know a little
about soundboards.  I'm sure some of what I have learned applies as well
to piano soundboards.  For example, some of the best sounding guitars
have a slightly arched top.  The arch is created by gluing  arched
braces to a flat plate of wood.  In all my experience with guitars, I
have never heard a guitar with a laminated top which sounded as good as
one of the same quality (otherwise) with a solid wood top.  I am curious
about one thing though.  High quality arch top guitars (i.e. DeAngelico,
Bennedetto, etc.) always have a carved top (rather than heat pressed
laminate).  The arched top gives the guitar more volume and projection,
when compared to a "flat top".  So, is it possible that a piano
soundboard with a carved crown might sound better than an otherwise
equal piano with a molded or atmospheric crowned soundboard?  Has anyone
ever tried it?

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee - just curious.......