pinz

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:32:25 -0500

And now for something completely different.

I tuned an older Yamaha G7 yesterday for the umpteenth time and noticed yet
again how huge the brass bridge pins looked. The difference was that I
miced them this time to finally find out just how big they are. The treble
section came in at 0.101, or about 2.6 mm. That's about half way between #8
and #9 by U.S supply house reckoning, and these were the smallest in the
piano. The rest of the tenor section had 0.111, or about 2.8mm. That's
0.003" bigger than #9s. The bass went from 0.119" (3mm), to 0.146" (3.7mm),
or from 0.010 over #9, to 0.011 over #10. That's a lot of brass!  All this
doesn't really mean anything, but I thought it was interesting, and it IS
piano related, in case the topic cops have a contract out on me by now.

Another observation/question: The fore/aft spacing between rows of bridge
pins within a unison tends to become much wider in the low tenor than in
the treble, and in longer scales more so than in shorter ones. Is this
mostly to prevent having to carve away half of the bridge when notching, or
is there a more exotic reasoning behind it than I'm aware of?
Ron N