why use non-ET?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:41:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2000 12:06:22 PM, Ron K. wrote:

<<Some of your most musical tunings to date were possibly
not ET, but accidents while trying to hit the ET target.>>

Ron;
 I am enjoying your graphs even if I don't agree with some of your
conclusions :-)

 Let's change the terms here in your statement........, i.e.,
.......Some of your most musical tunings to date were possibly not
Werkmeister, but accidents while trying to hit the Werkmeister
target................... makes as much reasonable sense as does your
original statement...doesn't it? You could substitute any of the temperaments
in this statement and still be correct couldn't you?
 Aiming at an "ET target" and missing it no more invalidates the ET theory
than does aiming at an "alternative" target and missing it invalidates that
theory....does it?  Is it a mistaken action to call something 'ET' which
misses the mark by .3 cents on a note? If so, would it not also be a mistaken
action to miss a 1/7 meantone by .3 cents on one note and still say it was an
1/7 meantone?

 And couldn't we also reasonably say that 'no one' has ever tuned a 'true'
Valotti-Young?
Jim Bryant (FL)