Front duplex noise

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:27:27 -0600

Hi Bob,

> > I totally agree with your thoughts, but how many clients will pay
> > the freight when the subject is first brought up?
>
> Freight for what? You don't have to move the piano to dress a capo bar....
> if I'm reading you right! (Although I have heard of some who tell the client
> the piano has to be taken to the shop to prefrom the ardus task of lost
> motion)

Strickly a metaphor.  Dropping the tension and dressing the bar is usually a
half days work. In most cases, to do only one one two notes, tends to make the
others sound out of kelter.
If you are talking about a new piano, a different story, the noise is probably
a fault with a poorly dressed bar.  If the piano has a lot of noise in this
area, I also recommend restringing the treble section,
Having said this, if the customer expects to be paying for a tuning, and they
are hit with 1/2 a days labour, in most cases they will rechedule or do
nothing.

> >The glue is a band aid,
> > that buys some time, so that a) you can reschedule .
>
> Why would you put a band aid on something to buy time, to do the correct
> repair. This is only costing the client more, and in all likely hood
> confusing the client at the same time!

A dab of glue will only take 1min tops, I would not charge the client, and it
makes the tuning easier.

>  b) get through a
> > performance situation.  I would not advise dropping a string the day of
> >the concert.
>

> Done it, no problems! I'm assuming that the strings are original, have been
> up to pitch for some time. If so, then I repeat.....no problems! ;~}

I see, you use the same technique.

Regards roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.