Topics for discussion

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:23:02 -0500

:

--------------------

--------------------

> Thanks
>
> Jarred Finnigan

The mind running wild is an excellent start. Personally, I'd go into debunk
mode and try to flush out a few of the entrenched (pardon the term) universal
un-truths and misconceptions about pianos. I'd start with the assumed
immortality of pianos, and the anecdotal proof that they don't need service...
ever - (Aunt Aphasia's old Upright Grand that sat on the porch for 300 years
and never got tuned, which nevertheless exhibited the BEAUTIFUL tone
characteristic of the species), followed by the outside wall thing (correct
side of the wall), and the basement thing (stalactites, penicillin mold, etc).
I'd probably wrap with tuning stability as relates to play, temperature, and
humidity, and the borderline child abuse inherent in foisting an old crappie
shelter off on a poor defenseless kid as a valuable musical educational
experience. In short, I'd use up as much of the twenty minutes as I could on
"between the eyes" piano education and insure that they vividly remembered the
time I came to the meeting.

I've done it a few times in the past and it's really a hoot! Be prepared to
discuss some of your points in detail with a few individuals for another half
hour or so after the meeting because you will actually get the attention of a
few conscious individuals with this approach and they'll have questions. If you
try to do consumer grade history lectures or Martha Stewart tips, you'll just
put them to sleep.

It's worth doing, but be more careful what you agree to next time.  ;-)
Prepare to learn a few things yourself in the process.

Ron N